Sunday, November 16, 2008

Lunch in Japan: Mochi Eyes and Tofu Membrane



It sounds like something from a Halloween flick, I know. But the fact of the matter is, Japan has some weird food. And I love it, even the octopus pancakes. Since spending money is done with great ease here, most of us end up sitting on the front steps of school, eating trays of noodles and onigiri with sour plum paste inside while sipping chu-hi's, all bought for next to nothing at the 99 cent store across the street. It is always an adventure, choosing one's lunch.

Since moving out of my host family's house (more on this later, I'm writing an article for the program's blog on homestays), I've had plenty of opportunity to cook in the small apartment I now share with our director, her husband, our business and health directors, and their boyfriends. Only yesterday I attempted to bake cookies in our tiny but efficient microwave/oven. After Professor Benard and I finally decoded the buttons, the machine produced a few batches of half-baked, rather mediocre chocolate chip cookies.

Strange nosh aside, my experiences here over the last few weeks have been full of adventurous discovery, good-natured mix-ups and miscommunications. I have stumbled clumsily along the trendy avenues of Kyoto and have never been more aware of my gaijin ways. Despite all of my short-comings and gracelessness, I have been welcomed with open arms and encouraged by many of the Japanese people I have come to know well. With my first homestay under my belt, I am feeling more confident and adaptable and now look forward to a short break and a bit of relaxation before heading back to China.

Photos: Rachel J and me eating our kombini lunches at school.

2 comments:

Mum said...

Gambat te! Annaboo, Love, moo

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Anna! love the 'eyes' photo!

Love, Mary