Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Pollution, Poverty, and (finally) a Bit of Comfort in UB


Having grown more comfortable in UB over the past few days, I've gotten the chance to explore more of the city. There is a great little "Irish" pub around the corner and the back alleys, home to many fortune tellers and small tradesmen, are fun to wander about, as long as you keep your wits about you (and keep your coin purse tucked away). We finally ate some delicious borscht and mutton dumpling soup after deciphering the Cyrillic menu during a lunch break yesterday and found a good vegetarian spot as well. The stark contrast between the wealth of the city folk and those from the countryside, down on their luck is repeated everywhere and it creates the most interesting dynamic of any city I've ever visited. It is not uncommon to see young women trot along the broken concrete in their stilettos while a beggar pulls at their skirt hem, asking for a dollar or two. I am proud to report that my street crossing skills have improved greatly. Since there are few traffic lights and no real traffic laws, it's a game of chicken between driver and pedestrian. I've learned that crossing in numbers is key as well as an unwavering, intimidating stare and keeping one hand raised to slap the hood of the car who challenges you. It takes a great deal of gumption but I think I've got the hang of it. Cars are treated like horses and are parked everywhere and anywhere there seems room for them. Despite all of the air pollution (which leaves you feeling as though you've smoked a pack of cigarettes in the morning), Rachel Moshier spotted two Prius's the other day. In two days we leave for the Gobi where we'll be riding camels and possibly visiting a dig somewhere. I am so looking forward to getting out of the city and exploring beyond its walls. What lies ahead I'll soon discover. Good to hear from you all and be well until later.

Photo: The gate outside the Tibetan Buddhist monastery we take class in.

6 comments:

Hannah said...

Hello dear Anna! I'm so happy to be reading about your travels so far and hearing that you are well. I laughed out loud when I read about you slapping the hood of cars and staring down strangers. I think of you often and I'm excited to read more. Send my best to Nat.
Love,
Hannah

Mum said...

I love your descriptions of what you are seeing honey. Makes me feel I am there with you. Learning to stare down drivers. Whoa. Mustangs perhaps? Colts?
Love to you dear one.

Do you take everything into the Gobi or travel light? Bring warm clothes?
xoxo

Anders Conway said...

Its great to read up on your travels. I hope you have the opportunity to take part in the traditional preparation of a sheep/mutton.

baigaarai,
Anders

esther said...

ANNA!!!! ok so your trip sounds wonderful!!! im so excited for all your adventures! well, im excited to hear about them... the duplings sound all extra good... i miss you and your adorable little sayings and old lady ways. and yo, by the by, i love your mom. i hope she sees this. missing you!!!!

Maggie Jenkins said...

Anna, I had no idea you were going to be in Mongolia! I've been to that Irish pub and your mention of street crossing brings back fond memories. My brother even had his appendix out less than a mile or two from where you were probably staying. I've never gotten over how gorgeous that country is and I hope you enjoy the Gobi. I'm not sure I share the same fondness for mutton, however. If you get sick of mutton, there was a good chinese restaurant on that main street (I've forgotten the name) so happy hunting.
Love your long lost mountaineering friend,
Maggie

Kate Fetrow said...

Wow, that sounds amazing! You keep slapping those cars! Don't get hit.
Love,
Kate